Πολλές φορές αναρωτιόμαστε για τα μερίδια των προϊόντων της Microsoft στην αγορά και ειδικά για το market share του Exchange. Επειδή λοιπόν έτυχε σε μια κουβέντα με κάποιον συνάδελφο να αναφέρω ένα ποσοστό του 85% και να τύχω έντονης κριτικής (“ώπα ρε μεγάλε, κόψε κάτι”), σκέφτηκα να το ψάξω λίγο παραπάνω και βρήκα τα αποτελέσματα μιας έρευνας που μπορείτε να την δείτε και μόνοι σας, θα σας παραθέσω το link στο τέλος του post.
Αποσπασματικά η έρευνα λέει:
- Exchange has about 65% market share across all organizations.
- It has a 75% penetration in health care businesses with more than 5,000 employees.
- Exchange does very well in telecommunications industries with at least 1,000 employees, where it has a 90% penetration.
- Almost all organizations with up to 49 employees are on Exchange 2007. More than 40% of Exchange seats in organizations with over 10,000 employees are on Exchange 2003. About 5% of Exchange-using organizations with up to 500 employees are on Exchange 2003. Exchange 5.5 has almost disappeared.
- Notes/Domino has about 10% market share across all organizations. It is at its strongest in manufacturing and financial industries, with more than 55% market share in manufacturing industries with at least 5,000 employees. Among health care industries with at least 2,500 employees, it has a roughly 25% market share.
- Some 55% of Notes/Domino seats in organizations with fewer than 100 employees are on version 7. Fewer than 5% of Notes/Domino seats in organizations with at least 1,000 employees are on version 5.
- Internal and hosted POP/IMAP solutions are used in about 15% of organizations of all sizes. POP/IMAP products are more popular in education and technical consulting than in other industries.
- Some 5% of large organizations use a POP/IMAP-based email system.
- Novell GroupWise has a negligible overall market share. However, GroupWise has its niches, notably organizations in the financial services and government sectors with 100 to 999 employees. In those sectors, it has a 10% and 15% market share, respectively.
- The survey does not support the contention that small and medium-size organizations are migrating from on-premises software to hosted services (which would usually be classified as POP/IMAP solutions).”
Τα σχόλια που συνοδεύουν βέβαια την έρευνα έχουν ενδιαφέρον. Για παράδειγμα:
“While the report looks interesting, I have to think your sample is not random enough or significant based on the fact that you obviously did not target or receive many Domino respondants. The latest IDC numbers show Exchange at (and I’m going off of memory here, so I might be off by a point or 2) about 48% market share, and Domino at about 43%. The remaining scraps were held by POP/IMAP, GroupWise, Oracle, and others. It certainly isn’t anywhere near the 65% and the 10% you cite. 65% is almost feasible, but 10% for Domino? Once you had that, you must have realized your information was skewed and statistically insignificant.”
Και η απάντηση στο σχόλιο:
“Thanks for the feedback. This study was over 917 organizations, with a total of 10.5 million employees. This is roughly 2% of the workforce in developed economies. We believe it is by far the largest survey to determine market shares. Also, as far as I can see, IDC’s figures are not based on a survey, but on information provided by vendors. Vendor information is unreliable. Our survey is not perfect, but I do believe it’s statistically significant. I believe the market share picture it presents is an accurate one.”
Ρίξτε μια ματιά στο παρακάτω link: